Have you ever wondered how photographers get such cute newborn photos with young siblings? Have you ever thought to yourself, “my toddler would never behave for that.” The elusive newborn/sibling photo may seem like an impossible task. And I’ll be honest, on occasion I have to pull out every trick in the book to make it happen … but in the end, I always get a portrait I know will be cherished forever.
I’ll start by saying that I’ve been photographing babies for more than 10 years now. I have found over the years that there are specific poses that work best for specific ages. Typically, at the beginning of your session, I will go over some different pose variations that I suggest for your toddler and we can decide what might work best.
Every child needs something different to feel comfortable in the studio. Some come bounding in, ready to go. Others need 10-15 minutes to play and acclimate to their surroundings before letting me get close. And some children like to watch me work with baby for a while before they feel comfortable joining in. I am happy to adjust my plans to whatever your little one needs.
Here are some tips that May make your photography session with your toddler successful:
- Feel free to bring snacks and a drink for your toddler
- Also, feel free to bring some entertainment for them (I do have a TV and some small toys at the studio)
- I am all for gifts/bribes if your child will go for it
- Try to plan around nap time (newborn sessions take place in the morning, but you are welcome to bring your toddler at any point during the session for their portion of photos)
- Are there any songs/noises that make them smile?
- Don’t get frustrated or stressed – we will figure it out. If one thing doesn’t work, there’s always something else I can try.
If you have any concerns or suggestions regarding your session, don’t hesitate to speak up. I want your session to be as stress-free and successful as possible. I am happy to chat before or during your session. And you can always mention your thoughts on your session questionnaire that is filled out before your session.
I can’t wait to work with your growing family. I know it’s going to be amazing!